The following programs make funding available for scholars at various stages in their careers, and for periods of varying length. Check out their websites for specific information and deadlines.

The International Research Exchanges Board (IREX)

IREX provides grants and other support for scholars and professionals from the United States, Central and Eastern Europe, and the New Independent States.

1616 H Street, NW
6th Floor
Washington, DC 20006
Tel.: (202) 628-8188
Fax: (202) 628-8189

The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)

The NEH offers highly competitive fellowships for research including dissertation support, summer research stipends, and funds for semester or year-long research projects.

1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20506
Tel.: (202) 606-8400

The Social Science Research Council (SSRC)

The SSRC provides predissertation and dissertation fellowships, postdoctoral fellowships, and advanced research grants in both the social sciences and humanities. Some programs also provide support for natural scientists and non-academic professionals.

810 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10019
Tel.: (212) 377-2700
Fax: (212) 377-2727

The Fulbright Program

The Fulbright Program makes available fellowships for foreign travel in order to do dissertation research, and also research and teaching exchange opportunities for academics and other professionals. (Note that the range of fields accepted varies from one country to another in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union; Fulbright also offers fellowships to other parts of the world). The United States Department of State is the principal administrator of the Fulbright Program worldwide. The Institute of International Education (IIE) assists the Department of State in the conduct of the program at both predoctoral and postdoctoral levels. The Council for International Exchange of Scholars, an affiliate of the IIE, administers the U.S. Scholar Program.

Institute of International Education (IIE)
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3580


Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
3007 Tilden Street, NW
Suite 5L
Washington, DC 20008-3009
Tel.: (202) 686-4000
Fax: (202) 362-3442

Fulbright-Hays Program

Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program

Provides opportunities for graduate students to engage in full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies.

Faculty Research Abroad Program

Offers opportunities to faculty members of institutions of higher education for research and study in modern foreign languages and area studies.

Group Projects Abroad Program

Supports overseas projects in training, research, and curriculum development in modern foreign languages and area studies for groups of teachers, students, and faculty engaged in a common endeavor. Projects may include short-term seminars, curriculum development or group research or study. The program does not support advanced intensive language projects under this competition.

American Association of University Women

For dissertation and other research support on topics concerning women, you might want to contact them (yes, they are the ones who raised a few hundred thousand dollars to buy Marie Curie the gram of radium she needed to continue her Nobel Prize-winning research).

Other Potential Funding Sources

In addition to these large programs, there are many other potential sources of research support; you may be able to combine several smaller awards to provide real support. Ask at your institution about internal fellowships and awards. Check the acknowledgements in books or articles you admire -- if the authors received any fellowship support for the research that led to the publication, they will mention the source here.